MATCH INFO – Egypt vs Uruguay Prediction & Preview
|Competition||World Cup 2018 – Group A|
|Start Date||15 June 2018 – 13:00 GMT|
|Venue||Central Stadium, Yekaterinburg|
|Referee||Bjorn Kuipers, Netherlands|
Egypt vs Urgauay Match Preview
Egypt kick off their first World Cup finals campaign for 28 years when they take on Uruguay at the Central Stadium in Yekaterinburg on Friday afternoon.
The Pharaohs last reached the tournament way back in 1990 and have high hopes of making a dent on this summer’s competition, with the form of star man Mohamed Salah this season giving Hector Cuper’s side even more reason for optimism.
Egypt are less experienced on the international scene but did make the Africa Cup of Nations final last year and Mohamed Elneny, Ahmed Hegazi and Salah will all be familiar to Premier League supporters.
But Uruguay head to Russia with great optimism, too – perhaps more than ever going into a major tournament in recent times. This is the first time La Celeste have qualified automatically for the competition – without the need for a playoff – this century. Throw in the relatively kind group they’ve been handed along with the balance of experience and youth in the ranks and this team could be present deep into the tournament.
Oscar Tabarez’s squad will draw inspiration from the 2010 World Cup in South Africa where they made it all the way to the semi-finals – their best performance at the finals since 1970. Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani and Diego Godin are among the names still present in this squad and that familiarity, combined with young stars like Rodrigo Betancur, could prove invaluable.
Egypt vs Uruguay Team News:
- Mohamed Salah is in a race against time to make Egypt’s group opener, as the Liverpool star is still recovering from a shoulder injury sustained in the Champions League final last month.
- Ramadan Sobhi is on standby to replace Salah in the starting XI on Friday.
- Emerging Sampdoria star Lucas Torreira may have to settle for a place on the bench in Uruguay’s group opener against Egypt on Friday.
- Oscar Tabarez may go with the experience of Martín Cáceres at left-back, but Gaston Silva is also an option for the South American side.
Egypt vs Uruguay Predicted Lineups:
Egypt vs Uruguay Head to Head (H2H):
The lone meeting between the sides came in a friendly back in 2006. The current captain Diego Godin opened the scoring in Uruguay’s 2-0 win, the second coming as an own goal from Egyptian boot.
Egypt vs Uruguay Predictions:
- Egypt are sweating on the fitness of star man Mohamed Salah ahead of their World Cup opener against Uruguay on Friday. Preperation has not gone well, as Hector Cuper’s side are winless in their last six matches.
- Uruguay are favourites to finish Group A as winners and will start their campaign against Egypt, who will try and rival them for top spot. Oscar Tabarez’s side have won their last three matches heading into the tournament.